God desires that the whole Church would partner with His heart and pray for Israel. His sovereign election is this nation, and His heart is jealous for Jerusalem (Zechariah 1:14-16). He will fulfill His promises towards this city (Isaiah 62:1). Jesus is coming to earth to rule from a throne in Jerusalem (Zechariah 14:4; Joel 3:17; Psalm 110:2; 132:13-14; Acts 1:11-12).
Israel will one day accept their Messiah Jesus (Matthew 23:29). God is committed to Israel’s salvation for the sake of His own glory in the world. His strategy to redeem the earth is the redeemed and restored nation of Israel under the leadership of Jesus (Ezekiel 36:22-23). Jesus will rule over David’s Kingdom (Israel), and he will sit on David’s throne (in Jerusalem). This will be His global headquarters on the earth during the Millennium (Isaiah 9:6-7). Israel will be God’s vehicle of salvation (Genesis 22:18; John 4:22).
God wants us to stand with Israel in prayer.
Praying for Jerusalem is God’s strategy to release fullness to the Gentile and mercy to the Jew. Our response to Israel is a test, and we will be judged according to our stance towards Israel. We must cultivate a passion in our heart for the Jews. We must contend in prayer for Israel and give God no rest till He establishes Jerusalem and makes her the praise of the earth (Isaiah 62:7).
The prayer movement will culminate in the return of Jesus, the salvation of Israel, and the consummation of God’s Kingdom on earth (Psalm 122:6-9). The Holy Spirit is establishing global intercession for Israel (Ezekiel 13:3-5; 22:30; Lamentations 2:18; Zechariah 2:5). Jerusalem is one of the last battlefronts spiritually, politically, and militarily (Zechariah 14:1-3). There is a war between two Houses of Prayer—Jesus’ and the antichrist’s (Psalm 122:6; Revelation 13: 8, 12).13
Some Biblical intercessors who left great examples of prayers for Israel are: Moses (Exodus 32:11-13; Numbers 14:13-19; Deuteronomy 9:18-19, 25-29; 30:1-10), Solomon (1 Kings 8:46-53), Nehemiah (Nehemiah 1:4-11), Asaph and the sons of Korah (Psalm 44; 74; 79; 80; 83; 85), Isaiah (Isaiah 6; 58:1; 62:1; 63:15-19; 64), Jeremiah (Jeremiah 9:1; 14:7-9, 17-22; 15:5; Lamentations 3:43-51; 5:19-22), Daniel (Daniel 9:1-19), and Joel (Joel 1:8, 13-14; 2:12-17).14 You may want to use these prayers as you intercede for Israel. You may be asking:
“What are some specific prayers that I can pray for Israel and the believers living there? What are some strategic ways that I can pray?”
Here are some ways recommended by our friends at Revive Israel Ministries in Jerusalem:
- Pray for believing Israeli, especially the youth – Pray that they would be strengthened in their faith and connected to other believers in Yeshua. Pray that believing youth will connect through national camps that provide a place to be strengthened in faith and connected in deeper ways. Strong young followers of the faith are the future of the body of believers in Israel
- Pray for unity in the body of believers in Israel – Pray for humility and cooperation among believers throughout the entire spectrum of faith. There are many forms of expression and variations in theological orientation. Pray John 17:20-23.
- Pray for effective personal evangelism – Pray for an increase in effectiveness as Yeshua is shared with the lost sheep of
Israel, especially through personal relationships. Pray for
Israeli believers to become key leaders in Israeli society so that
many may hear and see the love of Yeshua (Matthew 10:5-7;
- Pray for effective discipleship of native believers – Pray for the development of discipleship programs to fit the needs of new Israeli believers from all walks of life. Pray that many
more Israelis would come to know Yeshua, and that they would
be effectively discipled into His likeness (Matthew 4:18-22,
- Pray for hope found only in Yeshua (Jesus) – Israeli society suffers severe economic and natural resource limits together with international political pressure and the increased cost of daily housing, fuel, and food beyond the resources of the average Israeli. Because of these pressures, Israelis are often in a hopeless day-to-day disposition. Pray for Israelis to have hope found in Yeshua the Messiah (Luke 24:21; Romans 10:1).
- Pray for national security – Israel is under constant threat for her continued existence as a nation. Pray for wisdom for the Israeli governmental leaders. Pray that those protecting her borders would have eyes like eagles to uncover evil plans against her (Isaiah 54:17; Zechariah 2:4-6; Luke 19:41-44).
- Pray for the believers in Israel to possess the land – Because of high housing costs and persecution as believers of Yeshua, it is a great challenge for believers in Israel to own homes and businesses. As the believers become more recognized as a legitimate part of Israeli society, it is important as part of their witness to the wider society. Pray for Messianic Jewish businesses and families to possess the land (Isaiah 61:1-7; Luke 4:17-20).
For weekly updates, current events, and additional information on how you can pray for Israel, visit Revive Israel. Revive Israel Ministries believe that it is impossible for Israel to fulfill her national destiny to invite Messiah Yeshua back to earth (Matthew 23:39) without the informed and effective prayers of Christian friends from around the world. I encourage you to print out these prayer requests and pray for Israel regularly.
You will experience God’s blessing when you do.
God is arresting our attention because He wants to give us His heartbeat for Israel and the nations. He wants us to see the world through His eyes and realize that the eternity of nations are at stake.
“His agenda is far more serious than anything man can comprehend, for He always deals with eternal issues and the eternity of entire nations is at stake… The longer that I walk with the Lord, the more I know that He is a God who has definite strategies and works according to a fixed set of plans. Nothing, absolutely nothing is a happenstance with the Lord for He is a God of order. Consequently, He has a plan concerning the nations and it is for this reason, too, that there is a judgment of the nations.” Michael Howard
By Debbie Przybylski
Intercessors Arise International